Wednesday, October 23, 2013

An Amateur's Guide to Spanish Fashion

I started writing this post yesterday, which was a rainy, rainy day in Sevilla. Compared to a 45 degree high today in Chicagoland, though, I can't complain. I wore a light sweater for the first time this fall. As much as I've been enjoying the warm weather here in Sevilla, it was so nice to feel the cool, autumn breeze yesterday morning when I rode my bike to the elementary school where I've been volunteering.

This week, I decided to write about something that is near and dear to my heart... FASHION! ;) I've always loved fashion, and it has continued to be a "hobby" for me in Spain. I have really enjoyed observing how Spaniards dress, and I've taken a few too many trips down the two main shopping streets: Calle Tethuan and Calle Sierpes. It probably doesn't help that they're only a 10 minute bike ride away from my apartment...

In true "Ailie style," I tried to do some research about Spanish fashion before I came to Spain. I didn't have much luck figuring out what people actually wear on a daily basis, so it's been fun seeing the different styles and comparing them to the U.S.

Many of the styles aren't too different than in the U.S. The only difference is that almost everyone dresses super trendy. At first I thought maybe it was just because I had never really lived downtown in a city, but I've come to the conclusion that that doesn't explain it all. Spaniards just know how to dress. So, here we go. 5 and a half weeks worth of observations put in to my very own "Guide to Spanish Fashion."

The most popular stores here in Sevilla for 20-somethings:



See some familiar names? I had been to Zara, Mango, and H&M in the States many times, but they seem have entirely different selections here in Spain. My personal favorites are Zara and Pull & Bear. I've also had fun walking through small boutiques.

Now you know where the Spanish fashionistas are shopping, but what exactly are they wearing? Here are a few trends I've picked up on in my time here.

First, I've seen a lot of women wearing light-washed jeans, which is something I don't see too often in the U.S.


A style I really like while the season here in Andalucia is still transitioning from Summer to Fall is a light neutrals look. All of the stores have fall clothes out, but it's still been anywhere from 75 to 90-something degrees in the past couple weeks. Therefore, Spanish women find creative ways to mix and match pieces to stay cool, and light colors seem to help on the bright, sunny days.



Some other popular items are chambray, shirts with words/quotes on them (usually in English or sometimes French--almost NEVER in Spanish even at Spanish stores), and skorts.


As in the U.S., leather/pleather can be seen in all forms. Leather isn't reserved for purses, shoes, and jackets. I see a lot of leather shorts, skirts, pants, and shirts. A more surprising trend that I've seen a lot in the stores here is plaid. I guess the 90's trend is big in the U.S., too, but I'm not used to seeing anything other than button-downs or flannels in plaid. 


Slouchy pants are also HUGE here, either printed or solid. As seen on Kristin Cavallari (Cutler) below, this is also a trend in the U.S., but I think it is a style that women can wear for a bit longer here to stay cool in the heat without wearing a skirt or dress.


As far as shoes go, Vans seem to be a popular choice for people around my age. Sevilla is a very walkable city, but that often means a 25 minute walk multiple times a day. That doesn't keep people from wearing heels, though. It seems like most women over about 30 wear heels almost every day. Now that boot season is rolling around, however, I've been seeing more flat shoes.


That's all I've got for now, everyone. I've wanted to start a street style blog for a few years now. I'm considering doing a post a week on here with some street style photos, as long as I can muster up the courage to ask random people in Spanish if I can take a picture of them... What do you guys think? Comment & let me know! :)

-A

Photo sources:
http://belayanastya.tumblr.com/post/23725784134
http://www.fashforfashion.com/2013/05/deardiary-fashion_3.html
http://www.pursuitofshoes.com/2013/09/pursuitgoestony-bien-fait.html#_a5y_p=987980
http://chicisimo.com/outfit/biker-y-cuadros/
http://www.pullandbear.com
http://weheartit.com/entry/81705195/explore?context_user=LinFaWindy&page=5

1 comment :

  1. Love this! If only we could all walk around spain with a birkin like the woman in your picture... sigh.

    ReplyDelete