Thursday, December 12, 2013

10 Things I'll Miss About Spain & 10 Things I'm Looking Forward to in the U.S.

Just landed in Chicago! I am heading back home for winter break, so I've been doing a lot of reflecting on my first semester here in Spain. I'm pretty excited to return home for Christmastime. I am lucky to have parents who are letting me come home for the 6 week break I have before I start my second semester here in Sevilla the first week of February. The next semester is even longer than this one, so I know I will cherish my time at home.

That being said, I am also going to miss a lot of things about Spain. I have fallen in love with the Spanish culture, and above all with the Sevillan culture. I am beyond thankful to be able to spend another semester here. It was a hard decision to stay for the whole year, but I knew within a few days that it was the right one. I'm glad I can look forward to my time at home without being sad to leave this place forever. See you in a month and a half, Sevilla!

10 Things I'll Miss About Spain Over Winter Break

  1. The weather. The coldest day is still 60 degrees... Compared to highs in the 20's or even the teens like I'm used to, this is absolute paradise to me. On top of that, it is always sunny. I think it's maybe rained a total of five days in the three months I've been here. I walk to class surrounded by palm trees every day. I'm definitely in for a rude awakening when I get home, but, hey, it'll make it much easier to leave in January to come back.
  2. My friends. I have made some lifelong friends here in only three months. I now have new best friends across the U.S. that I know I will keep in touch with.
  3. My host mom. Living with my host mom, Eva, has been one of the biggest blessings of this whole experience. She is the best cook, language helper, and all around most welcoming person. I can't wait to live with her for another five months next semester.
  4. The food. Like I just mentioned, my host mom is an incredible cook. I have gotten to enjoy so many typical Spanish dishes and more both in and out of my house. Some of my favorite dishes include chicken paella, lentil soup, and cream of squash soup. 
  5. The relaxed lifestyle. Perhaps one of my favorite things about Spain... Everything and everyone is so relaxed. "No pasa nada..."
  6. The language. It's going to be so weird hearing English all around me, and I'm not sure if I'm going to be crazy about it.
  7. The buildings. This city is just beautiful. Everything is so colorful and grand, down to the doorknobs and tile floors. 
  8. My house. I have really grown to love my place here in Spain. It's so homey and I really feel like my room is mine.
  9. The shopping. I am about a 10 minute bike ride from the best shopping in Sevilla. I've spent countless afternoons just walking around window shopping. It's fun to see how another culture dresses, even though much of it is the same as America.
  10. My walks. This is also one of my favorite things about Sevilla. It is such a walkable city, and since the weather is always nice, we always walk everywhere. It's going to be weird to get in a car--and a FREEZING COLD car nonetheless!

10 Things I'm Looking Forward to in the U.S.
  1. Christmastime. As much as I love the palm trees covered in Christmas lights, Christmas just isn't the same here. It is just as big and exciting, but, as the song goes, there really is no place like home for the holiday! 
  2. My family. Although my parents just left Spain about a week and a half ago, I still can't wait to be able to see them every day. I haven't seen my brother since August and my sister and her husband since September, so it's going to be so nice to spend lots of time with them. 
  3. My boyfriend. <3 It's been hard being away from him this whole time, but he has been so supportive. Being just a drive or train ride away from him is going to be like heaven. It really makes you appreciate the time you have together more than ever. 
  4. My friends. I can't wait to bake cookies with Kimmie (and Ben--it's our 3rd year of this tradition), see the rest of my friends at home, and go visit my friends at BC in January!!!
  5. Being able to walk around with a Starbucks cup. It's just a cultural difference thing. You can get Starbucks cups to go here, but only Americans do it. I've given in twice, but this is just one of those little things I've grown to miss. 
  6. Free water. This is probably one of the only cultural difference that actually annoys me. I love the Spanish culture in so many ways, but they just either don't drink water, or they pay at least 5 euros (~almost 7 dollars) for it. 
  7. Heat. Houses in Sevilla are built for the scorchering 125 degree summer days, so they are freezing even when it's 65 degrees outside!
  8. Getting drinks. I only got to be 21 in the U.S. for two weeks before leaving for Spain, so it'll be fun to get drinks with people over break!
  9. My dog. It's no secret that my family is obsessed with our dog. She's the cutest little corgi ever. Can't wait!!
  10. Convenience. Learning and living in a different culture is an incredible experience, but it's often hard and "inconvenient." It will even be nice to speak a little English. ;)
Thanks for a great semester, Sevilla! Can't wait to come back!

A


No comments :

Post a Comment