Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Orientation Part 3: Córdoba & (FINALMENTE) Sevilla!

¡Ay! I really need to catch up so I can finally talk about Sevilla. Here we go!

On our last day of orientation (Wednesday), we had another early wake up call, followed by a four-hour bus ride to Córdoba, Spain. Córdoba is a relatively small town in Andalucía, the "state" that Sevilla is in, as well. It is definitely one of the most picturesque places I've ever been. Everywhere you turn, there are winding streets with colorfully decorated buildings like these:





I just couldn't get enough! We had a few hours to explore and eat lunch before our 3:30 pm tour, so we walked around and found the cutest, tucked-away restaurant named "El Rincon de Carmen." 


Shortly after we sat down and ordered (of course) a pitcher of "tinto de verano," a Spanish guitar player came out and serenaded the room. He was so cheerful and really added to the whole experience. We pulled together 5 Euros as a thank you for the mid-afternoon entertainment. That was my only tip in Spain so far. (Note: Not tipping is the norm. Waiters are paid normal, competitive wages and tips are only for when you get exceptional service!)


We all really enjoyed our meals, service, and the general ambiance of the restaurant. It was a perfect end to a fun orientation with new friends. I really have found such a great group of girls already, which has made the adjustment so much easier.

Laura, Caroline, Olivia (roomie!)

Outside of the restaurant with Caroline, Alex, Olivia, Kathleen, & Laura.

Shout out to Chi-City with Kathleen, who is from Winnetka and goes to BC! We didn't know each other before we left- hard to believe!

Selfies with Caroline from New York :)

After we walked around for a while, we met back up with our group (API) to go on a tour of The Great Mosque (Aljama) of Córdoba. This amazing monument was built in 785 A.D., during the time of Moorish occupation in Spain. It is known as the "most splendid Islamic monument in the Western world." Since the original mosque was built, there have been many additions, including a Christian cathedral and bell tower. The architecture was so unique and gave us more of a taste of Andalucía's Muslim/Moorish roots.







After grabbing some "helado" (ice cream), we got on the bus to FINALLY head down to Sevilla! I couldn't sleep on the two-hour ride, which, as you may know, is so unlike me. I was so anxious to meet my host mom and finally see the city I would be living in until June! (With a break in between when I'll be coming home- don't worry!) Andalucía is historically known as the agricultural hub of Spain, and the two hours I spent staring at farms definitely proved that to me.

A huge statue of a bull? Welcome to Andalucía!

We arrived in Sevilla around 7:00 pm, and our host mom, Eva, came to pick Olivia (my roommate) and me up! We, of course, gave our "dos besos" (two kisses) as a greeting. Olivia and I could immediately tell that we were incredibly lucky. Eva is pretty young, super approachable, and fun! She has a 15-year-old son, but he was with his dad that night. She doesn't speak English, which I was very happy to hear. She speaks VERY FAST, but it's making me learn and improve quickly. I will be living with her for both semesters, so I can't wait to get close and really think of her as my "madre española."

Like I mentioned before, Olivia and I have our own rooms. It was such a pleasant surprise. Here are some pictures of my room:




Well, that's all for now, everyone! I need to get some sleep. Tomorrow is my third day of classes, and they are going well so far. We live very close to the school-less than a 10 minute walk. It's been so great. I will update you more on my time in Sevilla tomorrow or Thursday!

¡Buenas noches!
A

No comments :

Post a Comment